Friday, June 10, 2011

Jamboree

Well, here it is the first official day of Southern California Genealogical Society's Genealogy Jamboree. It is off to a roaring start...The first lecture everyone is looking forward to attending is "Prostitution in the Wild West" presented by Jana Sloan Broglin, CG. While it looks like it might be a rippen good time I have elected to go the more sedate route and attend Warren Bittner's (another CG) "European Case Studies in 'Exhaustive Research' (For those who are unfamiliar: CG = Certified Genealogist)

Yesterday I volunteered at the Kids Camp. Wow, that was amazing. We had between 40 and 50 kids and about 20 - 25 parents. They participated in all kinds of great events from interviewing to being interviewed. (by Lisa Louise Cooke for her Podcast "Genealogy Gems") The kids also got to earn credits for their merit badges if they were Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. They made "journaling jars" and played Genealogy Bingo. I know I'll be volunteering again.

My friend Elyse Doerflinger is over the top excited. She is threatning to burst into confetti at any momemt. She is young. I'm too tired (read too old) to get THAT excited but I have to admit...I'm pretty jazzed. This conference, more than any of the others I attend, has that kind of affect. It is the most friendly, most energetic...I don't know what it is exactly, but I want more of it. It's almost as good as caffine.

Haven't made it into the vendor booth yet, and class is about to start. So I'll be tweeting about that a little later (blogging about those things tomorrow too.) For now let me tell you about the I Pad give away....

Susan Kitchens got a huge laugh when she gave away an "I Pad" it was a EYE PAD.  It's kind of a visual joke so you may have had to have been there....

And why aren't you?  Next Year...Promise yourself...Next Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment