Tuesday, November 15, 2011

RootsTech Scares Me-Tech Tuesday

I have to confess Roots Tech scares me just a little. Why? Because I learn how much I don't know.

I am by no means a "Techie." Just ask my friends who are. I am always asking them how to make this program work or, "how do I do this?" I have (tongue firmly in cheek) "bragged" about my techie prowess on this blog. And hopefully y'all know I'm laughing at myself.

I am also a little scared of RootsTech because, "Ignorance is Bliss."  For example: If I don't know that Nitroreader will make my life "easier" then I don't feel the need to go and learn how to use it. BLISS
But then when my friends start talking about Tweet Deck, Nitro Reader, Dropbox, Cloud Computing, SMS, RSS Feed, and the like....and I feel so left out...and I want to know the latest and greatest. I feel like I'm running behind...a day late and a dollar short, that's me.

The learning curve, is another reason I'm scared of Roots Tech. I'm still just catching up to last years brain overload. I still have not mastered Twitter or Tweet Deck. I barely know how to do this blog (as is evidenced by the many blogs that get posted before they are ready.) So when you tell me that the next RootsTech is just around the corner I start having anxiety attacks. WHAT!  I'M NOT READY YET!

All that aside; I love RootsTech. It's only a year old. And it is already one of the most (if not THE most) popular conferences in the Genealogy World. With good reason, too. Like I said...brain overload. You learn tons. You learn how to incorporate the techie world into your genealogy. Of course you can still do genealogy the "old fashioned" way, and you should. You don't want to be abandoning the careful research methodology we have all worked so hard to learn. However, adding the techie stuff to it complements it. It adds a new dimension to our genealogy. Like adding geocoding to our grave photographs. Even blogging adds a new dimension. By blogging about our research we find were our "holes" are and we get to practice putting our research into a narrative form.

So even if you're a non-techie like me RootsTech has something for you. You can become as Techie as you want or choose not to. But you should go at least once and find out what your missing and why you should try to work it into your genealogy world. And like me, I bet you'll find that you want to go back. And if you're already a techie, then join the other "tech geeks" and improve the techie world of genealogy for the rest of us.

Hope to see y'all there.

8 comments:

  1. The best genealogists are the ones who keep learning, always expanding their horizons. Don't be afraid. Be proud that you're keeping current in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, nobody has ALL of this stuff mastered. I know how to do all sorts of things in Tweetdeck, but I'm not 100% sure how to make a phone call on my cell phone (I can use Tweetdeck on it, but I can't call on it).

    Everybody has different stuff they know how to use. You should make a list of four or five tools you want to learn how to use (like Tweetdeck), sit down one-on-one with someone, and see how they use it (I'd totally do that).

    That's the best part of RootsTech IMO--the realtime collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope we run into each other. It will be a great learning experience for the uninitiated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to have a meet-up there because I am SO with you on the Rootstech anxiety! And I will need someone to sit at the lunch table with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, all the Non-techie types trying to learn should meet-up. What a great idea! Keep an eye on this blog and I will pull something together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy,

    Nothing to worry about. Heck, I don't know everything about technology, and I started a dang blog about it. I just saw a need and jumped because I thought I could learn along the way and help others.

    And that's why you shouldn't be anxious about Rootstech.

    It's not about what you know. It's about the willingness to learn, and you SO have that.

    Can't wait to see you there, Nancy!! =)

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's how you know when you should call it a night. I knew I was on your blog, Kim, and I was talking to you, and of course your readers, and yet I wrote 'Nancy' because as I scrolled down I saw her name and the thought, "Oh, there's Nancy." went through my wee brain, and that's what came out.

    I'm sorry.

    See? No one person knows everything, and we're all in the same boat. [And now we all know I shouldn't be in charge of writing out the name tags for everybody on our boat.]

    Can't wait to see ALL of you there at Rootstech!!!

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't we first meet at Rootstech last year? And didnt you navigate our way to ACs house using the GPS on your phone? I think you do a good job of keeping up!

    ReplyDelete